Kitchen Gadgets You’ll Want for Making Homemade Bread

There’s something deeply comforting about baking bread at home. I don’t know if it’s the warmth of the oven, the smell filling the kitchen, the slow rhythm of it all, or the warm, soft loaf that comes out at the end.

I’ll admit, I was really nervous about baking bread at home for the first time. I was sure I was going to mess it up, that I’d fail and end up disappointed. And you know what? I did fail once (okay, I’m ignoring the two yeast failures before that). But interestingly enough, it wasn’t even my first loaf.

The first loaf I made was actually good, a little small and oddly shaped, but the moment I made a sandwich with it, I knew I couldn’t go back to store-bought bread.

The failed loaf came next. My second loaf never really had a chance, and I think part of me knew that right away. It wasn’t rising during any of the proofing stages, and I couldn’t understand what I’d done wrong. I’d followed the exact same steps as the first loaf. That loaf ended up so dense it barely baked at all.

Instead of giving up, I started researching what could have gone wrong. It turns out I’d made the water too hot when adding the yeast, a small mistake that made a big difference.

So let’s talk about what you really need to start making bread at home (besides the ingredients), along with a few gadgets that aren’t strictly necessary, but in my experience, they make homemade bread so much better.

Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means I may earn a small commission if you purchase through these links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my cozy blog!

Essential Kitchen Tools for Making Homemade Bread


🥣 Large Mixing Bowl


Large Mixing Bowl

You definitely need a large mixing bowl to get started. A standard bowl just isn’t big enough to comfortably hold all of the ingredients as the dough comes together. When the bowl is too small, it’s easy to end up with unevenly mixed dough, which can cause issues later during proofing and baking.

A larger bowl gives you room to mix thoroughly without flour spilling everywhere, and it makes handling sticky dough much easier. It also allows the dough enough space to rise during the first proof, which helps everything develop more evenly from the very beginning.


🌡️ Kitchen Thermometer


Kitchen Thermometer in mug of water

I originally did not think this was an essential item for baking bread, but after the failure of my second loaf I realized yeast was a little more finicky than I expected. That and water temperature was really, really hard to estimate.

Checking water temperature with a kitchen thermometer for yeast made a huge difference for me. Too hot, and the yeast struggles; just right, and it foams beautifully, making dough rise reliably.


Yeast in water that is too hot
Too hot — yeast didn’t wake up
Yeast in water at perfect temperature
Perfect temperature — bubbly and ready to rise

🍴 Dough Scraper or Bench Scraper


dough scrapper

When that dough is sticky and tricky to handle, a dough scraper can make all the difference. It helps you lift and fold dough without struggling or getting your hands completely covered in sticky mess. It’s also perfect for dividing dough into portions, cleaning flour and dough off your countertop, and keeping your workspace tidy.

Even if you don’t use it for every step, having a scraper on hand makes the whole process feel easier and less frustrating (especially when you’re just starting out with homemade bread). It’s one of those simple tools that can save a lot of time, effort, and cleanup, leaving you more energy to enjoy the cozy part: shaping and baking your loaf.


🧺 Clean Kitchen Towel or Proofing Cover


A simple, clean kitchen towel is one of those tools that feels almost too basic, but it’s surprisingly essential when baking bread at home. You’ll use it to cover your dough during proofing, which helps keep the yeast warm and protected. This makes a big difference, especially if your kitchen is drafty or cool, because yeast loves a gentle, steady environment to rise properly.

Covering the dough also prevents it from drying out, so the surface stays soft and pliable. Even just a light cotton or linen towel will do the trick. I usually drape it loosely over the bowl or a proofing basket, letting the dough breathe while staying cozy and warm. It’s a small step that helps ensure your bread rises beautifully and reduces frustration for beginners.


🍞 Bread Pan


bread pan

A good bread pan is essential if you want your loaves to hold a uniform shape while baking. While free-form loaves on a baking sheet are fine, a pan gives the dough structure, helping it rise evenly and bake consistently.

I usually reach for a simple, sturdy pan. Nothing fancy is needed. Lining it with parchment or lightly greasing it makes cleanup easier, and it gives the bread a soft, golden crust all around. Using a bread pan can be especially comforting for beginners, because it takes some of the guesswork out of shaping and gives your homemade loaf a neat, cozy look straight out of the oven.


🥣 Measuring Cups or Scale


measuring cups

Accurate measurements are key when baking bread, so a simple set of measuring cups is essential. They make it easy to measure flour, liquids, and other ingredients precisely, which helps your dough turn out consistently every time. Even if you’re eyeballing a lot in the kitchen, having measuring cups on hand takes the guesswork out of baking and keeps the process smooth and stress-free.

Optional Tools That Improve Homemade Bread


While you don’t need any of these tools to bake delicious bread at home, each one has made the process easier, faster, and more enjoyable for me. They take some of the guesswork and effort out of baking, leaving you more time to enjoy the cozy part: shaping, smelling, and of course, tasting your homemade loaves.


🧻 Silicone Baking Mat


A silicone baking mat isn’t strictly necessary, but it can make life in the kitchen a little easier and cleaner. I usually use mine when shaping dough or transferring loaves to a baking sheet, because it prevents sticking and makes cleanup quick. It also helps me keep my counter clean. My counter is white and gray and sometimes with the poor lighting in my kitchen I can't see a sprinkle of flour I've somehow missed.

It also helps protect your countertop and baking surfaces from stray flour or sticky dough. Even though a piece of parchment paper works just fine, a silicone mat feels a little more reusable and eco-friendly, and it adds a small layer of convenience that makes the whole bread-baking process a little more relaxed.


🌀 Stand Mixer


KitchenAid Stand Mixer

You can absolutely knead dough by hand. There’s nothing wrong with that, and honestly, it can even be a little therapeutic. Feeling the dough change texture under your hands and working it rhythmically can be one of the most satisfying parts of baking bread.

That said, there are days when you really need a loaf and your schedule is full or your energy is low. On those days, a stand mixer can be a lifesaver. It takes care of the labor-intensive 10-minute knead for you, giving you consistent dough without the physical effort. Using the dough hook saves time and energy, and it lets you focus on the cozy parts of bread baking that you really enjoy.


🍞 Ninja PossibleCooker


The first few loaves I baked, I tried setting the dough out on the countertop and even warming up the house. I even experimented with using the oven light to give it a little extra warmth. Unfortunately, my house is extremely drafty (yes, I really do need to replace every window!), and my dough just wasn’t rising as much as I wanted. I even tried a sourdough starter once, and my house was just too cold for it.

Then came Christmas, and I received a Ninja PossibleCooker. My mom had been talking to me a lot about my cooking, baking, and how I’ve been trying to cut costs by making things homemade. I was excited immediately. Not only could I use it as a crockpot (my old one had recently broken), but it also had all these other functions and could even work as a Dutch oven. I’d wanted a Dutch oven ever since I tried sourdough, and suddenly I had one right in front of me.

As soon as I read that it could also be used as a proofer, I had to try it. And oh my gosh, the change was incredible. My dough no longer barely doubled; it now rises beautifully, in less than half the time. The recipe I use calls for a first proof of 1–2 hours, but this gadget gets my dough perfectly proofed in under 45 minutes. It’s made a huge difference, especially in a drafty house like mine, and has become one of my favorite “extra” tools for bread baking.

dough before proofing
Before proofing - dough just placed in the PossibleCooker
Fully proofed dough in the Ninja PossibleCooker

Time to Bake and Enjoy


Baking bread at home can feel intimidating at first, but with a few essential tools and a little patience, it quickly becomes one of the most comforting kitchen rituals. From mixing and kneading to proofing and finally enjoying a warm, soft loaf, the process is full of small, satisfying moments.

Whether you’re using just the basics or adding a few helpful gadgets along the way, there’s nothing quite like the smell and taste of bread you made yourself. So grab your ingredients, gather your tools, and enjoy every step of the journey — your cozy kitchen and your taste buds will thank you.

Want to see these essentials in action? Head over to my homemade bread recipe post and get baking!

Comments